Search This Blog

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sloppy Seed Stitch and Stash Enhancements

Let's start with the knitting stuff. Actually - only the corners are sloppy and I'm somewhat of the opinion that it won't matter. Here they are, unblocked. Once blocked they'll make nice straight corners, but the angled stitches are all over the place and now that I look at it - the right corner's "center stitch" isn't in the center. it doesn't go to the corner.

 I am only going to do an i-cord around the neckline because it's already high enough at the back and has a lovely graceful curve around the front. It doesn't need height or width. I could carry the i-cord all the way around the perimeter but I'm not sure if that would draw attention to the sloppy stitches or disguise them. I do think that anyone who peers at the bottom corners of this sweater ought to be a Knitting Contest Judge. I think I am okay with this.

What I am going to do is leave it as is and pick up stitches for the sleeves. I've knit the sweater body on a #10 needle but the seed stitch on a #8. I'll pick up stitches with that same #8 and then switch to #10's when I start knitting the sleeve. I'd like to have this done by next weekend but I am sure it will take 2 weeks to finish this. For sure it must be done by the end of February because I've joined Spirit Trail Fiberworks'  Yarn of the Month club and once they start coming in I intend to concentrate on those yarns. To have allowed myself to bring into my stash-cluttered house So Much More (albeit) Delicious Yarn was an indulgence of monumental proportions. I had to promise myself (and my stash) that it would linger there no more than 2 months from the time it arrives. ALL club yarn must be knit into garments in 8 weeks. Period.

Here's what I'm expecting:
March 1: One skein of "Lyra" (50% Alpaca, 30% Merino, 25% Bombyx Silk Light Worsted), 226g, approx. 500 yards
April 1: One skein of "Orihime" (80% Merino, 20% Cashmere Fingering) approx. 430 yards
May 1: One skein of "Elysium" (4 Ply 100% Cashmere DK Weight) approx. 200 yards
June 1: Two skeins of "Neith" (55% Bombyx Silk, 45% Cashmere DK) approx. 200 yards
July 1: Two skeins of "Sunna" (70% Merino, 20% Cashmere, 10% Bombyx Silk Fingering) approx. 356 yards
August1: One skein of "Nona" (50% Merino, 25% Cashmere, 25% Bombyx Silk Heavy Laceweight) approx. 630 yards


So even while I am knitting on my HCJ, I'm thinking about what I want to make from each of these yarns. I want the projects as planned out as possible - even though I'm a firm believer in letting the yarn tell me what it wants to be. So what do you think about Merino and Cashmere socks?

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty, dear Bess. I wouldn't worry about the corners; let the blocking take care of it. Mustn't obsess, right? ;-)

    I've gone "Cold Sheep", so no 'Yarn of the Month' for me. I'll participate vicariously through you, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, too. Blocking should take care of any corner issues and the very nature of the textured yarn will cover any remaining traces, I'm sure. You're much braver than I am in putting your less-stellar-than-usual work on public display. Bravo!

    Mmmm, merino and cashmere socks sound heavenly. I think that Anne Hanson (www.knitspot.com) used some Spirit Trail yarn for a couple of her patterns not long ago, if you wanted some other ideas.

    ReplyDelete