Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Hats Off

 The needles, that is. Here is a photo of that hat I was trying on the other day. The cabled part came from the book Hats On by Charlene Schurch, of the more recent and perhaps, more well known book Sensational Knitted Socks.  I love the hats in this book. They are clever and attractive and the techniques are truly well explained. But they always turn out very big. I am not sure what is wrong with the gauge numbers - or with the knitter - but they end up being huge hats. I used the Size Small hat stitch count and it turned out perfectly, but I knew I was using a much heavier yarn than called for. It's a perfect fit. The visible part of the brim is seed stitch but underneath it is a couple of inches of 2x2 ribbing. A couple of knit rows on the wrong side help the brim turn up nicely and it's bound off with i-cord.
  
 

Here is a photo that does more justice to the cable stitches though the color is a little dark. This was another UFO that I'm glad to finish since we all know I am expecting a package in the mail today. I'll call the post office at lunch, because I may have to make a mad dash up the road to pick it up in person if the package was too big for my mailbox. I definitely don't want to wait 2 days to get my Soho Dress Yarn.

And yes - the vest is almost done. Only a few more button band rows, some ends to darn in and a nice wet block. I will finish it this week - but I may also cast on some Camelino first. We'll just have to see.

In the mean time - Happy Hump Day to you.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing like seeing a cheery, colourful hat on my first blog-visit of the day, to brighten up a dark almost-winter morning. :-)

    ReplyDelete