Search This Blog

Thursday, October 6, 2011

It's a matter of Scale - a knitting post


1scale

 noun \ˈskāl\

Definition of SCALE

1
a : either pan or tray of a balanceb : a beam that is supported freely in the center and has two pans of equal weight suspended from its ends —usually used in plural
2
: an instrument or machine for weighing

Origin of SCALE

Middle English scole, scale bowl, scale of a balance, from Old Norse skāl; akin to Old Norse skel shell — more at shell
First Known Use: 14th century

That's what I'm dealing with - Cashmerino Aran's scale. Every time I pick a stitch pattern to swatch I'm shocked at how big it becomes. that 41 stitch lacy cable? It spreads more than half way across my chest. Cut it almost in half to a 24 stitch closed ring cable - you can hardly see the design for the breadth of it. Drop back to 12 stitches and it's still huge. Shrink the needle size to a 7 and it's still big big big. No wonder I'm having such a tough time picking something to knit this gorgeous yarn into.
You see - it's all about scale. And not just the scale of the stitch patterns - of how a design looks in the yarn. There's the the way it looks on my body. So I'm actually trying to mesh 3 factors - me, my yarn, and the stitch pattern in that yarn. Only two are constant - the yarn and my body. The area of choice is the stitch pattern and the more I work with this yarn, the more I believe it will have to be something very simple. A calm 3x3 cable or if I must have something fancier (and I probably do) a single 12 stitch rope traveling down the center - perhaps on either side of a button band.

I am working on a seed stitch/stockinette wishbone type cable, maxing out at my 12 stitch limit. I'll post a swatch photo tomorrow - but I must warn you - New Yarn is winging its way to my mailbox as we speak. Narrower, lighter weight New Yarn in a woolly tweed. Yarn that may supplant this delicious Cashmerino yarn if it doesn't play nicely with my design aesthetics very soon. 


It just may be this yarn is banished once again to the Great Bin Of Stash Yarn in the Attic.

No comments:

Post a Comment