Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

It's In The Stars

Love me some horoscopes - but only when they're good ones like this from MsH down in Australia:

It’s coming to the time of the year when you get to SHINE. The Sun is headed slowly but surely towards a meeting with your planet, Mercury. This effectively puts you in the spot light. If you have been unhappy about something in your life, it’s time for you to have a think about how to change that as your ruler reverses. You don’t have to take action just yet, but do make a list of what you want. Setting our intentions at any time is one of the most powerful things we can do to invoke the Law of Attraction in our favour.

Her grammar is often suspect - and not, like mine above - on purpose - but she doesn't have the familiar dislike for Virgos and their picky ways. We are frequently dissed for being critical and it's true. We do have strong opinions about a lot of stuff. But I find that how a particular V expresses her wise, assessing, very probably good-for-you opinion - or if she expresses it at all - depends a more on so many other things; i.e. birth order, job title, life experiences.

Anyway - today there were two good-news horoscopes for Virgos - and in these trying times that's always welcome. (Yes I read the news but I don't talk about it much. I like conversation that leads somewhere. Rants are good only as a spice for, not as a flavor of, conversation.)


When I was in highschool I was enthralled with all things occult: Palmistry, Astrology, Numerology - you name it - if there was a book in the library about predicting the future I read it. Of course - teens, on the cusp of stepping out into the adult world, are still fairly powerless. They may have the theory of life under their belts, but they don't have the empirical evidence that allows them to believe. I think that's why so many teens get interested in religion. Hmm. Magic, occult, religion - they share a lot of divinational qualities.


With my new found, self-taught skill at predicting the future I began reading all my friends' palms. One night I looked at a boy's hand, with its deep but definitely short life line and said "Oh. You're going to die young. Look how short your life-line is"


He was absolutely devastated. Never thinking about the times - or the fact that, as an almost 18 year old boy in 1969, with a middling high school performance behind him and no family connections to get him into college - his future was the army and Viet Nam. And there was nothing I could do to convince him that I was just a 16 year old snot spouting crap she'd found in a book! Why on earth would anybody believe me?

Well. I learned a lesson then. I still read my own horoscope - even read my staff's daily predictions from the Richmond paper every morning - but I always let them know that it's a game for me and I hope it is one for them too. And I never pass on bad news from the necromancers I come across - nor do I accept it for myself. If it's bad my motto is : But Not For Me.

Yikes! 8 o'clock already! Ta.

No comments:

Post a Comment